Your freshmen year of college basically feels like this.
When they said, "College will be the best four years of your life!" They lied.
If you're a freshmen, at this point you've been in school for a couple of weeks and you either:
a. Love it.
b. Pretend to love it via Facebook and Instagram.
c. Binge eat Chipotle and cry yourself to sleep every night.
I went to one of the biggest party schools in the country, was miserable, then transferred to an all women's college in Boston. In retrospect things turned out pretty well, but I went through hell to get there. Truth be told, college will be the best three years of your life. Freshmen year is f*cking hard. Take it from the girl that did it wrong.
Here are 12 things I wish I knew freshmen year of college:
1. Pay no attention to that awesome "80's Frat Party" Facebook album that your friends from high school posted after her first day at college. It may look like they've met their new bffs and had an awesome time, but did they post a picture of this part of the party too?
2. This tip will carry with you throughout life, but people are 100% more interested in talking about themselves than they are about hearing how cool you were in high school. You know when your eyes rolled into the back of your head every time Gretchen Wieners bragged about her father being the inventor of Toaster Strudel? Don't be the Gretchen Wieners.
3. If you don't feel like going out or have a really big paper due tomorrow, don't play the YOLO card. If I know one thing for certain it's that there will always be another party.
4. Go to orientation events, major fairs, and club meetings...but you really don't have to go to everything.
5. That being said, don't spread yourself too thin in college.
6. Don't enroll in 3 hour evening lectures.
7. The first month is hell. Between finding friends you actually like, figuring out where your classes are, and establishing a routine, freshmen year is really hard. It's ok to feel like this.
8. Don't cling to the first people you meet.
9. Don't order late night food with your roommate every single night of the week. The freshmen-15 doesn't have to be a thing.
10. That drunken hookup you're having probably isn't going to develop into a lifelong romance. Don't waste your time, or dignity.
11. Calling somebody fat won’t make you any skinnier, and calling somebody stupid won’t make you any smarter.
12. And last, but not least.